[spf-discuss] IAB Response to Appeal from [...]

2006-01-31 13:08:45
Hi, see <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.general/19142>

This is a very interesting result of Jefsey's first IAB appeal,
another against 3066bis might follow later.  It was about his
posting rights on the IETF languages list (for expert review
of proposed 3066 language tags, now 3066bis language subtags).

The listmom (list owner, Harald) used RfC 3934 to ban Jefsey
from this list for up to 30 days, AFAIK in agreement with the
3066 tag reviewer (now the 3066bis subtag reviewer, Michael).

Jefsey appealed to the IESG, that was rejected, and then went
to the IAB.  The IAB nullified the IESG decision.

You probably see why that's interesting for "us" for more than
one reason:  "We" (or rather Meng as owner = listmom) adopted
3934 for "our" lists.  AFAIK "we" (= the moderators like Greg)
never used it, at least not the parts with a "public warning",
let alone any ban for up to 30 days, or even any appeals to
our version of Chair + AD + IESG + IAB, i.e. the SPF Council.

The other interesting points are:  The IAB _does_ overrule the
IESG when they think it's necessary (as it happens I disagree).

And they don't necessarily waste months for their decisions:

<http://www.iab.org/appeals/> shows Jefsey's 3934 appeal with
date 2006-01-04, today's the 31st, that's less than four weeks.

That's no guarantee that they're always that fast, but OTOH
there's also no guarantee that an appeal against senderid-core
could delay the publication of spf-classic.

T-7 days, right ?  Could the new Council please consider to
meet before the deadline a.s.a.p. ?

My appeal to the old SPF Council was posted 2005-12-09 in...
<http://mid.gmane.org/4398BDB9(_dot_)1C04(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de>
...amended one day later by...
<http://mid.gmane.org/439A2F71(_dot_)4844(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de>

The first article is somewhat stupid, but in essence I still
think it's no nonsense.  Of course the old SPF Council was
restricted by the fact that their official term ended before
my appeal.  Maybe Brian even knew this in his calculations, it
would be a very smart thing to do, but now is now.  Bye, Frank