[spf-discuss] Re: Automatic key verification / CERT in DNS / RFC4398

2006-04-06 11:28:58
At 8:27 AM -0700 2006-04-06, Harakiri wrote:

 I doubt that signing a message puts more load on a
 server than all the
 spam filtering and virus scanning in use today.

 This is actually true, signing a message (average
 size) has not much impact of the server - maximum i've
 seen is for PGP 200% the normal processing and 150%
 more for openssl (yes, gnupg seems to be slower here
 =/) - figures based on 50000 mails in a few minutes

This is doing a PGP cryptographic signature on each and every message as it passes through the system, as compared to no cryptographic signatures at all? I'd like to see more details of your testing, please.

 >   Doing client-side signing and verification is
 definitely
 > scalable, but is difficult to get jump-started.

 This is actually not right - because client side you
 will always have the trouble to get all up to dates
 CRLS, CAs, OCSP signer certs etc (im talking smime
 here) and revoked keys for PGP. Do you want to update
 every client every second to make sure the validation
 is correct or just have *one* trusted server handle
 the result which will take care of all CRLs, all CAs,
 all OCSP Connections ?

I think the problem of keeping updated CRLs, CAs, etc... is going to have to happen anyway, and I think that can be done in a scalable manner. Teaching the clients to be able to use that system will take some time, but should not be excessively difficult.

 I dont quiet get that point here, there is actually
 enterprise gateways which use DNS lookups for
 ceritifcate retrievale (x509) for over 4-5
 years...nothing difficult when you only use 1 key
 (domain/group key) for the domain

        Looking up a single DNS entry is not going to be particularly difficult.

Doing a single signing key for the entire domain is probably not going to put an excessive load on the DNS server which provides that information, although it will greatly increase the amount of traffic that server handles -- instead of just handing out NS, MX and A records which aren't likely to fill an entire 512-byte UDP packet, now you have to add a whole bunch of crypto key data which is likely to greatly expand the amount of information you have to provide as a part of each transaction.

The problem comes when you have a key per user. Now you're talking about orders of magnitude more information that has to be handled, even with small numbers of users. And exponential explosion in memory requirements, on both the authoritative and caching servers, which is guaranteed to cause a major meltdown when you start talking about tens of millions or hundreds of millions of users with keys published via the DNS.

                                   - even then the DNS
 entries can be expended for more users and there
 should be no issue at all

I think you need to look at the scalability factors before you make such proclamations.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad(_at_)stop(_dot_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org>

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755