[spf-discuss] Re: Introduction to SPF -- Feedback?

2006-05-10 05:14:28
"Julian" == Julian Mehnle
"Introduction to SPF -- Feedback?"
 Wed, 10 May 2006 03:08:53 +0000

    Julian> Hi all, today I wrote, with a bit of Koen's help, the
    Julian> "Introduction" page of the new website:

    Julian>   http://new.openspf.org/Introduction

    Julian> Before we send out the upcoming announcement tomorrow, I
    Julian> ask you to review the page and comment on it.

At the end of the Example Policy section would it be nice to have a
link to 'tester' <http://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html>?

Should the word 'specification' or 'rfc' occur at the beginning of the
"Solution" section so the impatient can see clearly how to cut to the
chase?

Do you mean to have a link on this page, vision, that requires a name
and password?  Is that a welcoming gesture for your intended audience?

Hmm.. stretching your request to include the linked to page at
<http://new.openspf.org/Implementations>, wouldn't it be nice if, for
each implementation, something like the following were given?

        o By default complies with rfc4408

        o Can be optioned to comply with rfc4408

        o Does not comply with rfc4408

Maybe that should wait until Mail::SPF so that the reference
implementation can be designated to be compliant. :)

Also on a linked to page, <http://new.openspf.org/Specifications>, I
would suggest dropping the word _final_ from the heading: "The final
SPFv1 specification: RFC 4408".  This is very subjective and I cannot
give a clear rationale for the change except perhaps that omitting an
unnecessary qualifier is stronger than giving an unnecessary
qualifier.  RFC 4408 is _the_ specification, right?

At the beginning of the paragraph I would say: "This is the official
specification ...".  If one feels compelled to put something in place
of "final" in the heading, try "official" there also.  (final <-
official maybe also at the end of the second paragraph.)

I guess it seems to me that the tendency throughout the site to stress
and explain the (painful) history gives a tone of being rather
tentative (or defensive).

HTH

        jam