[spf-discuss] Rejecting "Best-Guess" failures

2006-07-20 12:10:20

Hi!

Given that all the ham I've received to the date seems to pass SPF "best-guess",
and most spam seems to fail it, I'm considering rejecting mail that fails to
pass a "best-guess" check.

Naturaly, since this isn't really an SPF failure I'm not going to advertise it
as such.  I've written the following rejection message:

550-Your message claims to come from example.com, but it is actually originated
550-in 101.102.103.104, which is in a completely different network than any of
550-example.com's A or MX hosts.  This suggests that your message is a forgery
550-attempt.  If this is legitimate mail, please consider routing it through
550-any of example.com's mail servers, or publishing an SPF record in your
550 domain to authenticate 101.102.103.104 as a valid sender.

Any comments/suggestions/etc ?  Do you think it's a good idea ?  Is there
anything that could be changed in this message to make it impact more positively
in the image of SPF?

Thanks,

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot(_at_)aybabtu(_dot_)com(_dot_)  Note: this address is
only intended for
spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.