Re: [spf-discuss] Wizard harmfull

2006-11-14 06:07:40
On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 04:45:28PM +0200, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

I get the feeling the wizard is doing more harm than good.

[snip]

In any case, it is doing me more harm than good.

I am no longer supporting questions that have to do with the wizard,
and no other volunteer can be bothered (for five weeks) to answer
these questions.

Wanted: a fresh bunch of volunteers.

The target audience of the wizard mostly doesn't even know what an
MX record is, and the wizard doesn't care to check if the user's
input even remotely may make sense at all.

After messing with the wizard for weeks, some finally give up and
present the resulting mess to you.  Others just keep the record.

Just now I got another "mx:name_of_host" type of record, and can't
stand to see it anymore. You can imagine what I feel if I see a
really big mess in stead of such a small issue.  That's why I quit.

What's required if you want to apply for the job:

You need to be patient.  You will have to deal with such problems
for a long time, over and over again.

You need to have good understanding of RFC821,RFC822 and why they
are different.

You need to know DNS and be able to explain why
"4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa. PTR hostname.example" is not enough to
match "v=spf1 a:hostname.example -all".

You need to be able to explain why "ptr:example.com" may not
match "www.example.com"  (it does, but there are examples where a
similar match does not occur).

And of course it helps to know a bit of all related protocols.

Apply to the council, not to me.

Alex