[spf-discuss] Re: SMTP HEAD draft

2006-12-22 09:01:56
Seth Goodman wrote:

But that's still after the RCPT TO.  For a selective reject we'd
need the order EHLO - MAIL FROM - HEAD - RCPT TO - BODY - QUIT:

That works, but why look at the first part of the body before you
have finished the envelope?  Not that I really object, because if
you could get the headers and still reject before the rest of the
message body, there are interesting things you could do.

With the HEAD you can get some 2822 results (SenderID, or DKIM, or
other stuff like UTF-8 vs. traditional header).  With the RCPT TO
you can accept or reject the mail based on this result selectively:

Some users want FAILs (odd forwarding, spamcopping as hobby, etc.),
most won't.  Some users can't handle experimental UTF8SMTP headers,
most will (or can live with the results of "downgrading" attempts).

For selective (depending on RCPT TO) rejections you'd need the HEAD
first.  But I fear Hector lost the interest in his HEAD proposal :-(

Frank