[spf-discuss] List changed envelope senders, breaking my whitelisting

2007-09-25 03:44:00
Recently I had a bit of trouble receiving messages from this list.

One of my favorite spam defences in an anti-Bcc: filter -- my mailserver
is programmed to reject mail where my address doesn't appear in the To: or
Cc: headers.  This is fairly effective against "Nigerian scam" spammers,
but it obviously FPs on any mailing list post.  To deal with that, I
whitelist all mailing lists I subscribe to.

I whitelisted this list with the wildcard "*(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com",
and that
worked fine until recently.  However, somewhere between 2007-09-18T06:50Z
and 2007-09-21T23:32Z the listserver switched to using envelope senders
under "*(_at_)jeeves(_dot_)archives(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com", causing my system
to treat them as
normal mail and subjecting them to the Bcc filter.

I've adjusted my whitelisting, but please, in future do not change the
mailing list MAIL FROM: domain.

Ob-SPF: This wouldn't be a problem if my TENBOX/E proposal were adopted.
While mailing lists aren't the same as forwarders, it would be quite
reasonable for a mailing list to use its submission address as a TENBOX
token.  This would allow the user to whitelist without having to worry
about VERP or the list admin changing his mind as to where he wants the
bounces to go.

---- Michael Deutschmann <michael(_at_)talamasca(_dot_)ocis(_dot_)net>