[spf-discuss] Re: Forwarder whitelisting reloaded

2008-01-17 03:17:02
Michael Deutschmann wrote:

The common thread among all three forwarding problems is that
the forwarder is a quasi backup MX for the forward-to domain,
but usually isn't recognized as such by that domain.

If both sides agree on this interpretation it might work.  BUT:

Outsourced backup MXs are not more state of the art when they
cause trouble.  Where they are still used they'd reject spam
as long as the primary MX is alive and kicking, and even when
their service is needed (main site down) they'd try to reject
(temporarily) anything that's remotely suspicious, because you
write later, once they accepted a "NEUTRAL" mail it's too late.

AND - for a constellation where you're GMail and I'm some small
site you'd not consider to accept mails for an overquota user
just because it's inconvenient for me if you don't.  You also
would not give me any confidential data (existence and status
of a mailbox) of your users just because that would help me to
arrive at better decisions for NEUTRAL mail later forwarded to
you.

If we swap this, I'm still the forwarder, but your're a small
site and I'm GMail, it's not much better.  I'm guessing, maybe
GMail and others can be more cooperative than I fear.

Since his decision might bring the wrath of backscatterer.org
on the forwarder, it is dishonourable for him not to extend
backup-MX-like superwhitelisting for those transactions.

GMail like most big providers I know offers POP3 pull, with that
a "honourable forwarder" is not forced to send dubious mails to
them, the big sites can fetch it when they feel like it.  This
means of course that what their users don't like ends up in the
trash folders of these users, no chance to reject or report it.

The recipient just has to learn to use the anti-spam "control
panel" the forwarder provides him

Well, I think I found where I can enable "reject FAIL" at GMX.

Many users would likely not understand technical descriptions,
and big providers don't try to offer technical descriptions -
it would attract the curiosity of spammers, besides anti-spam
tools change fast, and many users like shiny controls where
they can drag "anti-spam" from 0 to 100 and back again without
the faintest idea what this really does, because it's nowhere
explained.

 Frank