[spf-discuss] Beginners questions about SPF

2008-02-02 10:45:04
I have just started learning about SPF, and have a few questions about it

1. Is there a SPF server where a domain must register its mail server and email
addresses?

2. An email server that received a message from aaa(_at_)yyy(_dot_)com, and
uses sender ID framework (SIDF) to authenticate messages. Will it compare the
hostname of the email server of domain yyy.com (which is mailserver.yyy.com)
with the hostname name registered in a SPF server?

3. I have a hotmail account, and I know Hotmail uses SIDF to authenticate
messages. I receive a message from viff(_at_)viff(_dot_)org, but viff.org does
not have a SPF record (I checked it at
http://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html). How did Hotmail authenticated it?

4. I used the following commands to send me a message, but didn't receive it.
Why did I received this message from viff(_at_)viff(_dot_)org, but not the
following one?

$telnet mx4.hotmail.com 25

EHLO testing.com
MAIL FROM: andre(_at_)testing(_dot_)com
RCPT TO: someaccount(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com
DATA