[spf-discuss] Forwarding on the MON side

2008-02-19 00:52:51
I think I've now grasped forwarding-as-a-delivery, i.e. MRN side. But what about the originating network?

Consider this scenario: I run an ESP service for company X. They either use an internal server that uses mine as a smarthost, or submit directly to my server. A user U wants to use his private address U(_at_)Y, rather than company's U(_at_)X, when he writes personal messages. Since there is no other SMTP host that he can reach, my SMTP host should deliver his message. However, I have no control whatsoever over domain Y.

I'm not changing the RCPT. Should I change the MAIL FROM, or should I submit that message through Y's servers? The good solution here is that U uses Y's submission port and authenticates there, and I can't see why that shouldn't be possible nowadays. Is forwarding being performed in such kind of scenario, or anyhow involving 3rd parties on the MON side, at all?