Re[2]: [spf-discuss] Obivous forged email reply with bad SPF info... Here is a header...

2008-07-31 22:27:07
I  agree  with  others  that  spf3 should have "A" for a,ip4,ip6 and
distinguish by syntax. There are far too many errors of this sort.

I agree with Frank that this would be inadvisable and unnecessary.

Still,  should  it continue to be considered, please don't propose 'A'
as  the  name  of  the  mechanism. More appropriate would be 'N' as in
'Name'.

Reason:  Many  APIs forgive, or even invite, a call to gethostbyname()
that  passes a string representation of an IP4/6 address, echoing that
address  instead  of  looking it up as an (invalid) FQDN. On the other
hand  --  assuming 'A' was meant to stand for a general type 'Address'
--  I  don't  know  of  any  that  will take a string hostname into an
(overloaded?)   gethostbyaddr().   So  'N'  is  closer  to  real-world
generalization. My take, at least.

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: sandy(_at_)cypressintegrated(_dot_)com