Re: [spf-discuss] SPFv3 proposal: rawfail result

2011-01-30 20:55:44
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011, Michael Deutschmann wrote:

"rawfail" recommends that a message be rejected always, ignoring the
possibility that a message may have failed SPF only because it passed
through a traditional forwarder.  Coupled with the addition, v3 "fail"
would be explicitly defined to merely recommend rejection *if and only if*
the recipient MX is sure that the message is not a forward.

The forwarding you are concerned about is something only the
recipient can know about or initiate.  Why would a sender want a message
rejected if the recipient happened to forward it to another mailbox?

I'm not saying it is stupid - in fact, I'll throw out a possible reason:

A bank wants to send messages directly to recipients via TLS, and
wants recipients to reject emails that came through a forwarder,
and were possibly tampered with.

Unsubscribe Now: