xsl-list

Problems rendering nbsp entity

2002-09-25 18:06:50
I know I've seen this before but I can't seem to find it in the archives.
My apologies if this has been answered one too many times.

In the past when I wanted to render a non blanking space when using XSL to
render HTML I have just used the entity
I've even noticed that the   entity is rendered as   in the HTML
file when using the Saxon parser.  Most of the time MSXML will render this
appropriately as well.  However for some reason this does not work this time
when using that parser.  Now instead of getting the nicely formatted
document that I want, I end up with question marks all over the place.  When
I look at the HTML that was rendered there are no actual question marks in
it just blank spaces where I wanted the   to be.  I am assuming that
for each question mark rendered I am seeing the space.

Now after all that............

Is there a way when using MSXML to get it to return the actual entity
in the rendered HTML instead of some space character.  For example instead
The problem as many know with using the entity &nbsp; as a literal in XSL is
that it is not defined.  Also, I do not really want to output it as a non
blank space in the HTML but rather render it directly as is - &nbsp;

Much Thanks in Advance,
John Aschenbrenner