xsl-list

RE: hardware xml / xslt

2002-09-25 04:18:34
Another memory related issue: It would be a great thing if
the processors could separate out and cache just once
xsl:includes/imports and some link them into a Templates object.

I know I asked about this a year or so ago and it was not
possible then (Saxon and Xalan). Is this possible today?

It's certainly possible in theory. However, I think a very considerable
amount of the work that's currently done at compile time would end up
being done at link time, so linking the modules dynamically for each
transformation might not give great performance.

I'm currently working on a different approach, which is to make sure
that all the unused variables, templates etc from imported modules are
discarded from the compiled stylesheet. This creates a few problems for
things like saxon:evaluate(): which actually confirms the reasons some
implementors were reluctant to put an evaluate() function in the spec.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com