xsl-list

Re: Using the document function

2002-09-17 12:37:13

--- RShonk at flowserve dot com  wrote:

I am currently working on a project to dynamically generate PDF
documents
from a servlet. I embedded FOP 0.20.4 using  Xalan 2.3.1 into our web
application. My original plan generated 4 xml files. 3 containing
data
from
the database and the 4th containing the path and files names. I had
expected to be able to use <xsl:variable name="file1"
select="document
('filename1')"/>, etc.  in my XSLT stylesheet with the file name
determined
by the values in the xml file. This apparently will not work since
the
URI
value for filename cannot be assigned at run-time. Does anyone have
any
suggestions / experience on how to handle this. I am gueesing I am
going to
need to do an XML to XSLT conversion first to set the filenames and
then
the XML to FO conversion to create the PDF's.

Thanks,
Richard Shonk
Flowserve Corp.
Programmer / Analyst
Parts Distribution Center
Moosic, Pa.
(570) 451-2225

Passing a dynamically constructed string argument to the document()
function is legal and works without problems.

You could try and construct a small example to see this for yourself.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.