xsl-list

RE: encoding and XSL Transformation

2002-09-10 07:59:18
If you ask for UTF-8 encoding you will get UTF-8 encoding, and of course
it will look like a garbled mess if you then display it using software
that can't display UTF-8.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Earl Bingham
Sent: 10 September 2002 12:47
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] encoding and XSL Transformation

I'm having some trouble using the Xalan 2 Java parser for
parsing some XML
files I have that include non-ASCII characters. In which I
have characters
like right-tik ?  left-tik long dash, etc.  When I use Xalan UTF-8
encoding, it will make these characters into garbeled mess,
like  Â$(A  for right tick ,etc.
When I use james clark's xt parser. It will transform these
characters
nicely. Converting them to their hex representation ’

The SAX2SAX.java example provided with Xalan doesn't do too much help
either. In which it seems like it will always output a
supposed 'UTF-8'
format even though I change the <xsl:output
encoding="ISO-8859-1'/> etc.

Does anyone know how to get the Xalan parser to properly
transform these
characters to their proper hex value?

Thanks,

Earl Bingham