xsl-list

RE: Getting the XPath of a node

2002-09-05 04:47:53
Thanks to All the guys, who gave time to this.

-Dennis

--- "Macaulay,Malcolm (US)"
<Malcolm(_dot_)Macaulay2(_at_)cnare(_dot_)com> wrote:
Hi Dennis

I know you've have had plenty of replies on this
one, but I just have to send you my 'generateXPath'
named template. It work well and is in production on
my current project (not wanting to suggest that any
of the other replies would not work). Also I like it
:-)

<xsl:template name="generateXPath">
              <xsl:for-each select="ancestor::*">/<xsl:value-of

select="name()"/>[<xsl:number/>]</xsl:for-each>/<xsl:value-of
select="name()"/>[<xsl:number/>]</xsl:template>

Call this template at the context where you want the
unique XPath inserted into the output.

Note: keep this template all on one line (i.e. no
whitespace or nice indenting) - I use the generated
XPath in a javascript function - whitespace in the
template = gaps in the generate XPath = stuffed up
the javascript function.

Hope that helps.

cheers

Malcolm