xsl-list

RE: XSLT transformation flow based upon data type (access schema from within XSLT?)

2002-10-19 11:19:37
It seems somebody would have run across this same problem by
now, but I can't seem to find a solution to it anywhere.

Essentially: how do I get the XSLT to "see" the data type of a node?

I think you have to wait for XSLT 2.0. Making XSLT 2.0 schema-aware is
one of the big changes in the new version.

What I'm doing: given a bunch of nodes from an XML doc I'm
matching on (*), I want to perform a specific action to them
based upon the data type contained within the XML node.

It's pretty ambitious to attempt this with XSLT 1.0, but the way I would
suggest is: if you're using Xerces, say, to do the validation, then
write a back-end to the parser that extracts the type information from
the PSVI produced by Xerces and converts it into an attribute (you could
use @xsi:type perhaps), which would then be accessible to the XSLT
processor as a standard attribute of each element.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com