xsl-list

generating mailto

2002-10-10 22:42:42
Hi-

I'm just getting my feet wet in XSL and it's pretty interesting. I think
I am missing something though, because I find myself needing xsl:text
more than I think I really ought to. For example, if I have XML
<contact>
  <email>xxx(_at_)email(_dot_)com</email>
</contact>

and I want to generate a mailto URI like this:

the only thing I can get to work well is something like

  <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">
    &lt;a href= &quot;mailto:
  </xsl:text>
  <xsl:value-of select="contact/email"/>
  <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">
     &quot;>
  </xsl:text>
  <xsl:value-of select="contact/email"/>
  <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">
    &lt;/a>
  </xsl:text>

because the need for quotes after the "href=" confuses everything  (Then
I have to hide the '<' because it gets upset when it sees <a href= with
no quotes following). I'm sure that there's a more elegant solution than
this relatively ugly one. I did try using an <xsl:variable> but I just
get $email in the output. Any takers?

S-