xsl-list

Re: XSL nested tag help

2002-10-07 13:59:22

Hi,
For my XSL nested tag question some of you responded with a solution
of using text(), but that solution is not working. When I tried with
the solution, the text under "Target" tag is printing at the end
of text under "Main" ie,

<h1>This is a first test message it is important<h1>
<h2> and <h2>

But I need the output to be
<h1>This is a first test message <h2> and </h2> it is important</h1>

Thanks for all the help

-Mani

From: "Michael Kay" <michael(_dot_)h(_dot_)kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com>
To: <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Subject: RE: [xsl] XSL nested tag help
Date: Saturday, October 05, 2002 5:29 PM

I've following XML file.
<Main>
  This is a first test message
  <Target> and </Target>
  it is important
</Main>

From the above XML file I'd like to write and XSL so that I'll get
following output
<h1>This is a first test message<h1> <h2> and </h2> <h1>it is
important
</h1>

<xsl:template match="Main/text()">
  <h1><xsl:value-of select="."/></h1>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Target">
  <h2><xsl:value-of select="."/></h2>
</xsl:template>

But before you do that, try to choose a better design for your XML.
Using mixed content (text and elements as siblings of each other)
probably isn't the best approach here.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com