xsl-list

Re: Counting Child Nodes

2002-11-26 16:08:11
At 03:38 PM 11/26/2002, you wrote:
The algorithm I would use to determine how many rows and columns would be as follows:
       T = Total number of children
       R = Number of children displayed per row
       C = Number of columns needed

   <!-- find T -->
   T = ??

  To count something, you use count().  For example,
<xsl:variable name="T" select="count(/data/data)" />

Instead of your proposed algorithm (which is well thought-out, but not right for XSLt), you're going to want to look up "grouping", "Muenchian", and "xsl:key" in the archives. Check out the link that will be appended to this letter after my sig for its location.

Also, you might want to refresh yourself on the available functions within xslt (like count, substring, substring-after, etc) since they will probably solve many of your future questions. I use www.topxml.com for a quick reference, though I have recently seen that it is not always pinpoint accurate about default values and the like. Others have listed their favorite reference sites in other postings on this list as well.

Greg Faron
Integre Technical Publishing Co.