xsl-list

Putting a nodeset in a variable

2002-11-22 06:10:21
Hello,

is it possible to put a nodeset in a variable.
What I try to do is the following. I have an xml file which I want to group.
This resulting tree I want to put in a variable so I can use it later on.

E.g.
        <traps>
                <trap id="5"/>
                <trap id="6"/>
                <trap id="2"/>
                <trap id="5"/>
        </traps>

        <xsl:variable name="distinctValues">
                <traps>
                <xsl:for-each select="traps/trap">
                        <xsl:sort select="./@id"/>
                        <xsl:copy-of select="."/>
                </xsl:for-each>
                </traps>
        </xsl:variable>

        <xsl:template match="/">
                <xsl:for-each select="$distinctValues/trap">
                        <xsl:value-of select="@id"/>
                </xsl:for-each>
        </xsl:template>

When I try to do this I get following error:
        Expression must evaluate to a node-set.

Can somebody give me a hint if this is possible ?

Kind regards,
Ismaël