xsl-list

RE: Accessing the source nodetree while in another context

2002-11-20 09:45:24
Declare a global variable

<xsl:variable name="root" select="/"/>

This is a FAQ.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Jeff Rosler
Sent: 20 November 2002 15:46
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Accessing the source nodetree while in another context

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to access the source
nodetree while within another nodetree context? Here's a
simple example -

<xsl:variable name="mydoc" select="document('mydoc.xml')"/>
<xsl:apply-templates select="$mydoc//*"/> ...

While the apply-templates is run, the context for the current
node is set to $mydoc and any templates that are executed use
that. If I want to access the nodetree for the source
document on which the transform was run, is there a simple
syntax to specify it? I see how I could do this if I used an
xsl:for as I could copy part of the source nodetree into a
variable and just access the variable, but it seems like if I
want to use templates, they are going to be in a global scope
and I won't be able to access my variable as it isn't in the
same scope. Therefore, I would need some syntax to specify
the source nodetree directly.

Thanks for any and all comments. Please let me know if I'm
missing something simple :-). Jeff Rosler Consultant
Flatirons Solutions Corp 2555 55th Street Suite 100D Boulder,
CO  80301 303-544-0514 x11 jeff(_dot_)rosler(_at_)flatironssolutions(_dot_)com