xsl-list

RE: empty textarea broken in IE6, mozilla

2002-11-14 12:06:13
From: Zakon, Stuart [mailto:stuart_zakon(_at_)medcohealth(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 11:28 AM
Subject: [xsl] empty textarea broken in IE6, mozilla

I am a bit surprised that empty <textarea> inputs on forms
really break the
current generation of browsers, both IE 6 and mozilla 1.

What happens is that all the HTML on the page after the
textarea is shown by
the browsers as the CONTENTS of the text area! (You have to
see the bug to
believe it.)

It appears that the problem is that the XSL processor
(Xalan-C) optimizes
the empty element as follows:
     <textarea name="comments" cols="50" rows="5" class="bodytext" />

The browsers absolutely choke on this.

Manually changing the generated HTML to include the
</textarea> end tag
fixes the problem.

Is there a way to suppress this optimization of empty elements? My
<xsl:output> method is "html".

I suspect you may also be seeing <br /> and the like in your output.

I don't have experience with Xalan-C, only the Java version, but you may
need to explicitly set <xsl:output method="html" version="4.0"/>, or even
use -HTML when invoking the processor to write transitional 4.0 HTML, to
prevent it from minimizing empty elements (I have no idea if you're using a
presentation service or a command-line operation to do the transform).

cheers,
b.

| brian martinez
brian(_dot_)martinez(_at_)trip(_dot_)com |
| senior gui programmer                                  303.708.7248 |
| trip network, inc.                                 fax 303.790.9350 |
| 6436 s. racine cir.                             englewood, co 80111 |
| http://www.cheaptickets.com/                   http://www.trip.com/ |