xsl-list

Re: key(), generate-id question

2002-11-11 00:29:48
You can't control how generate-id() works, but you could do something
like write a named template that will generate the ID. For example, you
could count the number of preceding elements that don't have an _ID
attribute and then add that value to the numeric part of the nearest
preceding element that *does* have an _ID attribute. All doable with
normal XSLT functions.

Based on this, as far as now I could do an enumeration of all the _id values
(as numbers) from the document, but I have no idea how to select the one
with the maximal value out of them. And Also, I have no idea how/where to
store the new id values being assigned.
The problem is that I've no experience with declarative languages. I can not
get used to the idea that a variable can not vary. What I would do is that
(if curr_value > max) max = curr_value. But how to do this here? Any help is
greatly appreciated.

<!-- ID Generator-->
<xsl:template name="idgen">
    <xsl:for-each select="node()">
        <xsl:for-each select="@_id">
            <xsl:number value="substring-after(current(),'id')"/>;
        </xsl:for-each>
    </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

Thank you,