xsl-list

Fw: XPath question:"Filter" a nodeset

2002-12-20 11:38:01
FWDED

I wanted to post a question to the XSL List @ mulberrytech, but it actually
never got there. Don't know the reason, though.

May I ask you to post the attached message to the list on behalf of me, as
you obviously can send messages?
Or maybe you just know the answer, anyway? :D

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
johann richard

----- Original Message -----
From: "Johann Richard" <Johann(_dot_)richard(_at_)dspfactory(_dot_)ch>
To: <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 3:31 PM
Subject: XPath question:"Filter" a nodeset

Hi all,

I did some research but am still having a problem w/ an XPath expression
that I want to use in an XInclude #xpointer() statement.

Say, I have the following XML file test.xml:

<a>
  <ai/>
  <s class="s">
    <s>
    </s>
  </s>
  <s class="i"/>
  <s>
    <s class="s"/>
    <s class="i">
    </s>
  </s>
</a>

Now, if I do a unity-transform on the following XML w/ an XInclude capable
processor:

<b>
 <xi:include
  href="test.xml#xpointer(/descendant-or-self::s[(_at_)class='s' or
not(ancestor-or-self::*/@class='i')])"/>
</b>

I would expect my XInclude processor to build a fragment (node set) that
looks like the following, i.e. my intial XML w/ the "class='i'" and their
children get stripped off:

<b>
<s class="s">
  <s>
  </s>
</s>
<s>
  <s class="s"/>
</s>
</b>

(I would call this a "filtered" XInclude'd fragment ... :)

I tried the XPath expression w/ the XPath Explorer and seemed to get right
nodes selected, however, if I process this in an XINclude with xsltproc
(--xinclude), I don't get what I expected, i.e. xsltproc  complained that it
could not build the URI. I start asking myself if that what I am trying to
accomplish is  not possible ...

Best regards,
johann
Johann Richard