xsl-list

Fwd: white space in MSIE

2002-12-02 11:34:52
Hi folks,

On another list, the question below appeared regarding the way the processor handles whitespace.

Can someone confirm that what is being described stems from a bug in MSXML? I'm recalling something about it but I'm not sure of the details....

Thanks--!
Wendell

Sender: "TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list"
              <TEI-L(_at_)LISTSERV(_dot_)BROWN(_dot_)EDU>
From: "Rafal T. Prinke" <rafalp(_at_)AMU(_dot_)EDU(_dot_)PL>
Subject:      white space in MSIE
To: TEI-L(_at_)LISTSERV(_dot_)BROWN(_dot_)EDU

This question should perhaps be asked elsewhere - but I think
it might be of interest to other TEIers.

I intend to put some raw TEI/XML texts on-line to be browsed
with MS IE. I am now struggling with XSLT stylesheets and
encountered a problem of a single white space (ie. just a space)
between two elements. For example:

   Colonel
     <persName>
         <foreName>John</foreName> <surname>Smith</surname>
     </persName>
   was born in 1875.

is displayed as:

     Colonel JohnSmith was born in 1875.

ie. with all spaces normalized except for the one which is
the only character between two elements - with no textual data
there.

When the same fragment is transformed with Saxon, that space
is preserved.

Is there any easy way to achieve the desired effect in MS IE
without changing the source?

It can be done inserting the space *inside* one element:

    <foreName>John </foreName><surname>Smith</surname>

but I don't like this solution as intuitively the space
does not belong in either of the two elements.

Best regards,

Rafal

Wendell Piez