xsl-list

Lazy evaluation, was RE: value of variable inside a condition doesn't work?

2003-01-28 18:08:57
Simon Woodside wrote:

On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 04:35  PM, Mike Brown wrote:

So I'm curious... which XSLT processors cache and don't lazily evaluate
extension functions? And aren't extension elements, in theory, in the
same boat? (If no one knows what I'm talking about, never mind...)

I don't think this counts as lazy evaluation, does it? Lazy implies
that it could evaluate it early, whereas here, you must evaluate when
it's used.

Hmmm, to me lazy evaluation implies that you evaluate as late and as
infrequently as possible.  Of course, the "infrequently" part of that means
that from the perspective of second and later usages it was evaluated
"early".  However, from the perspective of first usage (usually the
perspective people use in this case), it implies "late evaluation",
evaluation could have taken place when the variable was processed, but
instead it takes place when the variable is first used.

-- Roger Glover
   glover_roger(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com