xsl-list

Re: Strings Comparison Question.

2003-01-16 13:52:24
For a string-comparison snippet see:

http://www.topxml.com/code/default.asp?p=3&id=v20010205033413&ms=20&l=xpath&sw=lang

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.

"Patel, Viral" <viral(_dot_)patel(_at_)countryfinancial(_dot_)com> wrote in
message
Sorry if you get duplicates but I got some email transmission error
so I am
gonna post this problem one more time and see if someone can help me.

I am new to XSL and I have several questions - some of them might be
really
easy ones but I just want to confirm.

1. Is it possible to compare two strings lexicographically in
XSL/XPATH? I
believe the answer is no. Is there a way I can achieve this?

2. I have listed the XML & XSL below.   In that the community name
attribute
could start with a alphabet, a number or any other character.   Most
of the
community names are expected to start with alphabets.  In my output,
if I
have one or more community name starting with a certain alphabet
(i.e. 'A')
then I want to put a link (aka advance orgranizer) at the top of the
page
that would say 'A' and likewise for all the alphabets.  Also since I
have
few communities starting with non-alphabets, I would want to put a
link
called Miscellaneous that would link to a page which would display
all
non-alphabetic characters.

How would I go about doing this?  And the those non-alphabetic
characters
are not fixed, they could vary depending on the XML file used.  If
there was
string comparison allowed then I could do something like @name<'a' or
@name>'z'  for each node and that would give me all non-alphabetic
characters.

Any ideas/help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

<record>
 <community name="101 South">
  ... Some Information ...
 </community>
 <community name="**">
  ... Some Information ...
 </community>
 <community name="Adams">
  ... Some Information ...
 </community>
 <community name="Smith">
  ... Some Information ...
 </community>
 ... .... ....
</record>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
version="1.1" xmlns:lxslt="http://xml.apache.org/xslt";>

      <xsl:template match="/">
 <xsl:apply-templates match="//community"/>
      </xsl:template>

 <xsl:template name="community">
  <xsl:if test="starts-with(@name,'*')">
   <xsl:call-template