xsl-list

FW: Question about strings.

2003-01-15 10:25:36
Hi,

I am new to XSL and I have several questions - some of them might be
really easy ones but I just want to confirm.

1. Is it possible to compare two strings lexicographically in XSL/XPATH? I
believe the answer is no. Is there a way I can achieve this?

2. I have listed the XML & XSL below.   In that the community name
attribute could start with a alphabet, a number or any other character.
Most of the community names are expected to start with alphabets.  In my
output, if I have one or more community name starting with a certain
alphabet (i.e. 'A') then I want to put a link (aka advance orgranizer) at
the top of the page that would say 'A' and likewise for all the alphabets.
Also since I have few communities starting with non-alphabets, I would
want to put a link called Miscellaneous that would link to a page which
would display all non-alphabetic characters.

How would I go about doing this?  And the those non-alphabetic characters
are not fixed, they could vary depending on the XML file used.  If there
was string comparison allowed then I could do something like @name<'a' or
@name>'z'  for each node and that would give me all non-alphabetic
characters.

Any ideas/help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

<record>
      <community name="101 South">
              ... Some Information ...
      </community>
      <community name="**">
              ... Some Information ...
      </community>
      <community name="Adams">
              ... Some Information ...
      </community>
      <community name="Smith">
              ... Some Information ...
      </community>
      ... .... ....
</record>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
version="1.1" xmlns:lxslt="http://xml.apache.org/xslt";>

      <xsl:template match="/">
      <xsl:apply-templates match="//community"/>
      </xsl:template>

      <xsl:template name="community">
              <xsl:if test="starts-with(@name,'*')">
                      <xsl:call-template