xsl-list

RE: Register Marks, Funny Character Problems

2003-01-15 10:10:54
Scott Purcell wrote:
The developer created some class files and basically is creating
the xml by printing the data to a text file.

First question: I know this is probably not the right way, but what > should
one do when the files get huge like this?

You will probably want to go back to your developer and ask him or her to write
Java classes using the SAX classes (org.xml.sax.*, org.xml.sax.helpers.*) to
parse the data. I have been following this list for some time and that seems to
be the answer that comes up repeatedly. XSLT doesn't appear to have a means of
handling large files in modest amounts of RAM. There was a thread in the last
week or so discussing the possiblity of managing an XSLT transform piece-meal
by writing a new kind of transformer which could operate on only a partial
document tree. It didn't look promising.

On the question of creating text files, you could easily store these data files
in Oracle tables as CLOBs. This would give you the advantages of  being able to
do database lookups to retrieve them.

Second question: The way we are doing this, there are trademark,
and register symbols in the database that are screwing up the xml
when we try and parse it later.
Does anyone have any insight into this problem arena?

You can encode these before storing them in the database. For example, you can
replace the registered trademark symbol with ® (ampersand pound 174
semi-colon) and the copyright symbol with © (ampersand pound 169
semi-colon). Just check an ASCII table for the decimal code the symbols you
want.

--
Charles Knell
cknell(_at_)onebox(_dot_)com - email