xsl-list

using xsl to substitute synonyms or translate

2003-01-07 13:36:22
I have a problem that I think is similar to translating words in one language to words in another language and I was wondering if I could use xsl to do it.

I know what my source input will be (example below) and I know what I want to output to be, but I can't fathom how to build an xsl to get the output. I thought I could use the translate function, but there would be a long list of things to translate. There are 32 teams and I want to use this process again (on something unrelated) for a list of over 300 items.

Here is what my source document will look like

<nflTeamNames>
  <name>49ers</name>
  <name>Cowboys</name>
  .
  .
  .
  <name>Seahawks</name>
<nflTeamNames>

Here is what I want the output to look like:

<nflCities>
  <city>San Francisco</city>
  <city>Dallas</city>
  .
  .
  .
  <city>Seattle</city>
</nflCities>

In case you don't know American football the 49ers are the San Francisco team, the Cowboys are the Dallas team and so on. :-)

Regards,

Tom