xsl-list

RE: Basic ques. about ancestor and child elements with same name

2003-01-03 09:59:47
[Hubert Holtz]

Lets say I have something like this:

<tree>
      <branch>
              <name> branch1 </name>
              <desc> long branch </desc>

              <branch>
                <name> branch2 </name>
                <desc>  short branch</desc>
              </branch>

      </branch>
</tree>

How can I output both branch names and their description,
without using any id or other attributes or other names for
the elements, my problem is how to output which have the same
name as the ancestor.

There are many ways, and this is probably the simplest -

<xsl:template match="/tree">
        <xsl:apply-templates select='branch'/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match='branch'>
<xsl:value-of select='name'/>
<xsl:value-of select='desc'/>
-- next branch --
<xsl:apply-templates select='branch'/>
</xsl:template>

This approach will walk the tree to any nesting depth.  You can tinker
with the display formating as you like.

Cheers,

Tom P