xsl-list

RE: Partial XSLT on grandchildren only?

2003-02-21 13:40:10
Hey Richard:

In any compliant XSLT processor (to include ours :) ) to process only on
the grandchildren, simply have the following in your root template:

<xsl:template match="/">
   <xsl:apply-templates select="*/*/*"/>
</xsl:template>

The default template rule for elements is to apply-templates from that
element, hence in the absence of other rules the processor will iterate
through an entire document.

However, by having a template like the above, you are overriding the
default and going direct to the grandchildren nodes of the document.

HTH!

Dion

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Heintze [mailto:sieg_heintze(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 12:25 PM
To: XSL-List(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com

Is it possible to use XALAN to only transform the
grandchildren of a XML document?

I want to load the XML file and manually iteratate
over the grandchildren of the document. Each
grandchild represents a page in a power-point like
presentation.

I don't want to tranform the entire document. I've had
trouble making the Microsoft DOM constrain itself to
only the grandchild node -- it climbs up (down,
actually) to the grandparent and transforms the whole
document, even when I only pass it the grand child
node. Does XALAN do this too?

   Thanks,
           Siegfried