xsl-list

Re: problem with xsl:sort

2003-02-21 04:02:40

  > <xsl:for-each select=".">
  > <xsl:sort select="@type" data-type="text" order="ascending"/>
  >
  > <xsl:for-each select="."> processes a node-set that always contains
  > exactly one node. So there isn't very much point in sorting it.

  What's the problem? Have I done something wrong ?

Not necessarily wrong, just pointless. If you sort a list of length 1
then clearly the result will be the same as the original list so
there is no point in sorting.

"." matches just the current node so

<xsl:for-each select=".">

will execute over a current node list which is just the current node
so

<xsl:for-each select=".">
<xsl:sort select="@type" data-type="text" order="ascending"/>

is exactly the same thing, whataver sort options you specify.

David