xsl-list

Re: MathML to XSL:FO conversion?

2003-02-13 08:23:54
Felix Breuer wrote:
Hello everybody!

Is it theoretically possible to convert a MathML document into a XSL:FO
document (that does not contain MathML)? Suppose you have a XSL:FO XML
file that contains MathML, would it be possible to write a XSLT
stylesheet that converts the MathML passages into pure XSL:FO? Or is
XSL:FO not powerful enought to express the glyph arrangements in complex
formulas?

Unless you used a lot of absolutely positioned block containers, which I suppose you could do, it would be difficult at best. I think a much better solution would be to convert MathML to SVG, which is, of course, perfectly capable of rendering any formula.

Note that XSL Formatter (Antenna House) support MathML through at least one MathML plugin on Windows. It also supports SVG through the Adobe SVG plug-in.

If you have a MathML->PostScript transform you can embed the equations as EPS graphics, which all of the FO implementations should support using their PostScript output processes.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot(_at_)isogen(_dot_)com
Consultant, ISOGEN International

1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
Austin, TX  78752 Phone: 512.656.4139