xsl-list

RE: converting xsl-wd to xsl1, msxml script changes

2003-02-13 05:13:52

Microsoft had a wd-xsl to xslt convertor written in(I think)
xslt at one
time, however as with all automatic conversion processes the
converted
xslts were less than optimal.

I tried that, the input file was 7k, the output file was over 80k and
consisted of mainly comments saying I had to rewrite it.. clever I
thought :)

In my experience the -only- way to convert from wd-xsl to xslt is to transform
the source using the old stylesheets, and then write the xslt required for the
new stylesheets from scratch.

Trying to figure out what the embedded jscript is doing, and then implementing
that process in xslt will lead to problems - the languages will attack the same
problem from very different angles.  The time spent deciphering ropey Jscript
could be better spent designing the shiny new xslt based on the output
required, and not on the old way of getting there.

cheers
andrew

---