xsl-list

RE: Complex XSL MIME Type

2003-02-05 08:50:02
RFC 3023 section 8.24 says you should use application/xslt+xml, but not
until it has been registered. It hasn't been registered. It got caught
up in some complicated politics which I don't understand.

As always when there is no standard to fall back on, you are left to
make your own decisions. Using an unregistered MIME type is not
recommended, but I don't know of any alternative suggestions.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Klaas_Bals(_at_)inventivedesigners(_dot_)com
Sent: 05 February 2003 14:57
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Complex XSL MIME Type

I know mime types were handled before, but I haven't seen one
about my question.

I'm 'designing' an API to access a product that can create
output of various formats: it creates PDF, PCL5,  XHTML,
XSL-FO, XSLT (that creates XSL-FO), XSLT (that creates
XHTML). To identify the type of output you want from the
product, I thought to use mime-types for all of these types.
I only have a problem with the last 3 types.

I read before in this list that I would have to choose
application/xsl+xml, but all of these last 3 types qualify
for that, and I need a unique identifier for all of them.

Should I go for:
application/xslfo+xml
application/xslt+xslfo+xml
application/xslt+xhtml+xml

Or should I just not use mime to identify the output format?

Thanks in advance!
-----
Klaas Bals  -  Project Leader & Technical Designer
Inventive Designers
Direct Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210183
Office Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210170
Office Fax: +32 - 3 - 8210171
Email: Klaas_Bals(_at_)inventivedesigners(_dot_)com