xsl-list

Re: is XSLT 2.0 implementable? (was: N : M transformation)

2003-02-05 03:38:43
Hi Sergiu,

I am a little guy that needs XML Schema validation for inputs to the
XSL processor.
In my project I build a component that recives XML from different
sourses and generates SQL statements to insert or update data in a
relational database. In this situation I need to check XML for
conformance with the data model I have designed.
In another situation, when clients recive XML from the component
after a query, they can be 100% sure that it's well formed, so they
don't need any schema validation for further transformations. Any
validation implies a performance penalty.

I think that the issue is not whether validation (against XML Schema
or any other schema language) is useful, but whether it's useful for
that validation to change/augment the information that you get about
the XML document within the transformation.

Validation of an XML document can be done without using information
from the PSVI in XSLT: just have a pipelined process where you only
perform the transformation if the XML is valid.

The question is whether you need and want the XML document to be
changed/augmented as a result of that validation -- which of the
features from the PSVI do you want to use?

In my opinion, the schema validation must be a feature that permits
usage of "Design by Contract" paradigm in the project. It must not
be a feature that makes XSL a strongly typed language.

Aye, well, there's the rub.

Cheers,

Jeni

---