xsl-list

Re: Are variables allowed in XPATHs?

2003-02-03 01:42:04
Harry Ohlsen wrote:

I must say, I find this restriction somewhat amazing. I assume it's intended to reduce the complexity of writing XSL processors?
The intent was to keep patterns simple and to avoid circular definitions (pattern may reference top-level variable, which in turn may apply templates). But afaik xslt2 allows variables in patterns as part of a predicate or key() function call.

How do people normally write generic XSLT without using variables?
Normally people do use variables.

Any suggestions as to the "right way" to do this sort of thing would be gratefully received. Feel free to point me to a book or website that discusses such things.
Rather than select nodes by pattern, select them by XPath expression *before* applying template. I mean - move your selection logic to <xsl:apply-templates> - that's much effective and clean solution.

I'm loathe to use a non-standard feature, but since Xalan seems to be a very well-supported processor, I may just live with it, unless there's a standard approach that's vaguely clean to code.
That's definitely a bug and I woudn't suggest you rely on a bug.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
Multiconn Technologies, Israel