xsl-list

RE: New to XSL - invalid token error

2003-02-02 16:16:14
No, XQuery still differs from true XML in some subtle ways. For example,
it's valid in XQuery to write

<book authorCount=" { count($authors[name="Kay"]) } "/>

(note the nested double quotes).

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Francis Norton
Sent: 31 January 2003 23:54
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] New to XSL - invalid token error

Well I'll be blowed.

Michael Kay wrote:

Recent drafts of XQuery are closer to real XML syntax. You now write

  return <book authorCount="{ count($authors) }"/>

I'm way out of touch, it's all there on the site. I'm still
looking at
it. Does it mean that an XQuery statement is essentially a
well-formed
mixed-content XML fragment? I bet I'm not the only one who's noticed
that the sometimes puzzling distinction in XSLT between the
root *node*
and the root *element* means that XSLT would need no formal
changes to
accept (multiple root-element) XML Fragments as input instead
of (single
root-element) XML Documents, if only the underlying parsers
would parse
them.

Time for XML 1.1 to treat XML Documents as simply a special
case of  XML
Fragments, and both to be considered well-formed. One day
maybe. Equal
rights for fragment types?

Francis.