xsl-list

Re: Subject: RE: A list of useful functions that aren't in the core of xsl.

2003-03-25 16:56:37
Hugh,

I happen to work for a company for which this technology is quite important --- a database company ;^)

It is my (and our) experience that there is no one right way to "shred" hierarchical tree-structured, semi-structured data such as that represented in XML into inherently regular rectangular structures such as SQL's tables.

Instead, there are practically an infinite number of ways. Indeed, for any given XML structure definition (e.g., DTD, Schema), there are potentially dozens (or more!) ways of performing the conversion. It is my belief (perhaps, or perhaps not, shared by my employer) that the best we'll ever be able to do is use some heuristics to suggest a shredding (or mapping or conversion) based on a particular DTD or Schema, then allow the application author make changes necessitated by the application's requirements.

Reasonable people may differ and think that there's some "obvious" way to do it, possibly "reducto ad extremum" in nature, but I question how useful such an approach will be to most users.

Sorry!
   Jim