xsl-list

RE: Large Document

2003-03-15 17:28:49
Markus,

Not sure where I am supposed to look. I have the XML-SPY app, pro version.
with stylesheet designer, but did not find anything on this subject. Also
looked at the W3C spec for XSL, without success.

I realize that I have a lot to learn. Usually the best way to get started is
with an example. Failing that, I am not sure about a counterpart to Apache
that I might use. The Xalan reference might be sufficient, but am not sure
if I can be successful with that.

I can see naming issues. Maybe XSL can look in the XML file for certain
element property names (i.e., chapterheading="Chapter 1."), etc.), and I can
write code that maps section names to file names? Is that how it can work?

Maybe you can point me to the best online source?

jwc

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of
Markus Spath
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 3:02 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Large Document

Jack Cane wrote:
I would like to create a large XML document using XI:include.../>, which
seems quite straightforward.

The other side of this is transformation. Naturally, I do not want to
transform the entire document into one html file.

Would like a pointer to an efficient way of having the document
transformed
into smaler segments.

many Transformers provide an extension-function thats able to split the
output
into various files - have a look at the docs of yours;

e.g.: Xalan calls this 'redirect'
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/extensionslib.html#redirect

hth, markus