xsl-list

Re: how to get string value of element node without children concatenated

2003-03-14 13:56:13
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Craig Kattner wrote:

I'm sure the answer is obvious, but I can't seem to find it.

I have the following XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<switches>
      <finishes>
              <finish>
                      Almond Decorative
                      <hold>no</hold>
              </finish>
              <finish>
                      Commercial
                      <hold>no</hold>
                      <hold>yes</hold>
              </finish>
              <finish>
                      Ivory Decorative
                      <hold>no</hold>
                      <hold>yes</hold>
              </finish>
              <finish>
                      White Decorative
                      <hold>no</hold>
              </finish>
      </finishes>
</switches>

while others much smarter than i will undoubtedly give you a solution,
i'd actually recommend redesigning your XML.  it seems unwieldy to have
a plain text node "Almond Decorative" as a child of <finish>, mixed
in with legitimate child elements <hold>.

why not give that field an element name?  then you can select it
explicitly by that element name, and your problem would go away.

rday