xsl-list

RE: Answers to review questions in "Beginning XSLT": Chapter 6

2003-03-13 09:20:27
Mike Brown wrote:
Lars Huttar wrote:
3. What is the difference between <xsl:copy-of> and <xsl:value-of>?

Answer:
The difference is that the latter gives the string value of
its select
expression, which in the case of a RTF or node-set would be
simply the
text in the text nodes [...]

The string-value of a node-set is the string-value of only
the first node in
the set.

The string-value of a node depends on what type of node it is:
  element: concatenation of text from all descendant text nodes
  attribute: attribute value
  text: the text
  comment: comment text
  processing instruction: instruction part (text after the target)
  namespace: namespace URI

Thanks for the correction and clarification.

And also for your recent explanation about match="node()" vs. match="*".
(Which I've put in my "worth keeping" folder.)

Lars