xsl-list

line-breaking and hyphenation in XSL-FO

2003-03-06 23:00:34
Hello ,
I studied the line-wrapping and hyphenation features
in XSL-FO. I had a two column table. In the 1st column
I was displaying some labels, and in the 2nd column I
am displaying data from XML file which I am wrapping
with hyphens. I am able to do it successfully, but I
still have few doubts about the algorithm used to
split lines and hyphenation in XSL-FO.

I am using FOP as a Formatting Object processor. I
still did not get chance to use other FO processors. I
read that FOP uses TeX algorithm to wrap lines and
produce hyphenation, which uses the concept of a
language specific hyphenation table.

I could not find mention of TeX in XSL-FO spec. Are FO
implementation free to use TeX or possibly other
typesetting standards? But I have found that
hyphenation properties in XSL-FO spec closely
resembles TeX algorithm. Was XSL-FO line-breaking and
hyphenation specs written keeping TeX in mind?

Any other comments and the links about line-breaking
and hyphenation algorithm in XSL-FO would enlighten
me..

Regards,
Mukul