xsl-list

Re: XPathEvaluator in SAXON?

2003-03-05 10:08:02
Michael Kay wrote:

What I was looking for is some class that takes in a Docment object and a XPathExpress object, then evaluate the document against the xpath and then return a collection of matching Node objects, sothat I can change the value of the nodes and save them back to the document file.

Saxon's two native tree implementations (the standard tree and the tiny
tree) are both read-only - they are designed for XSLT processing, where
node-level updates are not a requirement, and making the structures
read-only allows higher XSLT performance.

Yes, I can understand that.
The reason I wanted to do that is because I want to use xslt to manage the xml content in addtion to just display it. Since it's really easy to "query" a xml file using a xpath expression, it will be handy that I can update the value in the result nodes and then save the document.

The only mutable tree structure that Saxon supports is the JDOM
structure.

I believe that some Saxon users have written drivers that allow Saxon to
be used with third-party DOM implementations, but there's no such driver
included with the product.
Great, but how do I specify which implementaion to use?

In the case of JDOM, you build the tree using JDOM interfaces.

In the case of Saxon's two tree implementations, you can control it
using a property of the TransformerFactory.

I will give that a try.
Thank you for your help.
LS