xsl-list

RE: Maintainability Problem

2003-03-05 05:09:18
Hi-

Many thanks Michael and Jarno for your help. I implemented what
you told me, and everything is working really well now.

Thanks again,

Tim A. Kyle
University of Kent at Canterbury

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Michael Kay wrote:

Have three modules, A, B, and C, with A and B both importing C using
xsl:import. Include the parts that differ (in your case, the xsl:output
declarations) in A and B, and the common parts in C. Run the
transformation nominating A or B as the principal stylesheet, depending
which output format you want.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf
Of Tim Kyle
Sent: 03 March 2003 13:53
To: XSL-List(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Maintainability Problem

Hi-

I haven't used XSL in a while, and I am facing a
maintainability problem.

I have created two XSLs, one which is with a DOCTYPE for HTML
4.01, the other for XHTML Basic. These XSLs are exactly the
same, except for these parts of my XSL:

HTML 4.01
---------

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

<xsl:output method="html"
    doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";
    encoding="iso-8859-1"
    indent="yes"/>

...and

XHTML 1.0
---------

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
    xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";>

<xsl:output method="xml"
    doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML Basic 1.0//EN"

doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/xhtml-basic10.dtd";
    encoding="iso-8859-1"
    indent="yes"
    omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>

Does someone know an easy way in which I could have two
files, one with the HTML 4.01 header and one with the XHTML
1.0 header, and I could reuse them whenever I wanted by
calling them in XSLs when needed. For example, could I just
do an include of these headers rather than having to copy
them in each file?

Please let me know,

Many thanks,

Tim Kyle