xsl-list

Re: XSL-FO versus PostScript

2003-03-03 12:22:46
On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 05:54:22PM -0800, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
Yes--on the EXSLFO list I've discussed several possible low-cost
solutions to this limitation,

Do you mean the FOP-dev list or something else? If something else, can
you give subscription information? Google doesn't seem to know about it.

Be well,
Zack

and an architected solution in the spec
itself is certainly possible.  It's also important to keep in mind that
while XSL was designed to support a two-stage generate/paginate process,
it does not require that--there's no reason an FO implementation
couldn't provide a private feedback mechanism in an all-in-one processor.

My low-cost solution is simply to define a mechanism by which FO
processors can be directed to generate auxiliary, or "side" files, with
page- and marker-specific information that can be fed back into an XSLT
process. This would enable a multi-pass, layout-aware process at minimal
additional cost to FO implementations.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot(_at_)isogen(_dot_)com
Consultant, ISOGEN International

1016 La Posada Dr., Suite 240
Austin, TX  78752 Phone: 512.656.4139

Zack Brown