xsl-list

Re: Different Namespace Prefixes for Same Namespace URI

2003-03-03 12:07:18

I have a situation where I don't control the
source document.  Normally I could get the value
of the <widget> element from this document:

  <content xmlns:foo="http://example.org/ns";>
    <foo:widget>test</foo:widget>
  </content>

with

  <xsl:value-of select="/content/foo:widget"/>

But what happens if the namespace prefix isn't
"foo", but "bar" as in this document:

  <content xmlns:bar="http://example.org/ns";>
    <bar:widget>test</bar:widget>
  </content>

Can the namespace be referenced via the URI in
some manner, or is there another standard approach
to dealing with this issue?

Which prefix you use is irrelevant.  As long as whatever prefix you use is
bound to the appropriate namespace, everything will work as it should.  If
your processor doesn't work this way, then it's broken.

Dave